Thursday, October 23, 2008

5 cup cake turned out as Halwa

Before reading this blog, important information to be noted : I am not a great cook. Kinda relatively fresher to the cooking area and this is my first attempt on making sweets. Now with this in mind, read on..

What to say yaar, I took proper recipe for 7 cup cake. It is supposed to be

1-Besan Flour
1-Milk
1-coconut
3-sugar
1-ghee.

Now I tell u my expirement on it.. I eliminated coconut and hence the 1 cup of corresponding sugar.

So in effect I tried a 5-cup cake :)

Cautiously took all ingredients and kept each thing ready in clean dry glass vessels. (As they show in TV shows, Idhukku onnum korachal illa ;)).
Boiled the milk.
Kept a plate ready greased with ghee to pour the mixture.
So I was all set to go, fried the besan flour in little ghee, on top of it I poured the milk and sugar and added cashews and was mixing them pouring ghee now and then.

Finally it appeared to have come to a semi state where my heart signalled it to be the proper state to take out and honestly following my heart, I poured it into greased plate. I was sitting next to it and constantly watching it every 2 minutes (For some reason I got reminded of my Pipette Burette expirements in Chemistry Lab). Nothing happened for the next 20 minutes except I got bored watching at it so expectantly. I again put it on stove and rekindled it for some more time and this time the consistency seemed to differ, it started coming out of the edges as thick pieces. Triumphantly I poured it on the greased plate. This time just for a different sentiment, I did not gaze at the cake. (Last time Kannu-pattuduthu nu nenaikaraen).
Instead I went out for a walk and came.

Huff no big difference. Little better than last time but still have not become solid. Even after one hour now, it is like halwa. Great part is that I never needed a knife or fork to make pieces. I used it minimally and I shaped my cake with my own sweet cute hands, pressing (Ya of course 'pressing' only because its like halwa only na) and giving shape to it. Now pls don't suggest that I could have as well made it round round like balls. I did not want to insult my first time attempt so much, hence made a square shape out of the Halwa and have kept it inside the fridge.

What to do ! This is my "Cake panna nenaichu, Halwa'va mudinja kadhai" :)

But whatever, Just for the simple reason that "I" made it and also for the complex reason that anything made of sugar and ghee is eatable, I am optimistically hoping I will finish it sooner (or later :( ). :)

Hey you ! just a note of confirmation. You did not arrive at any conclusions about my cooking na? Please dont, Ofcourse I can make a good cook :P


No comments: